• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyone is upgrading. Do you upgrade too?
I think it is futile to upgrade phones.  Because I know no one uses those additional features that come with upgrades.  Even the rudimentary features are not some times used to their optimal level. 

I have my basic phone and I am happy with it. 

Can you atleast tell us what features your upgraded cell phone has?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I only upgrade if I really need to. I do use smartphone though, not a regular cell phone. But I don't run along the trends. I would only consider getting a new one if the current one I have is close to dying and fixing price would be close to buying a new one, which at certain situations can be the case. Most smartphones can still work with most apps. They might be lacking in some new features but you could easily find a workaround for that as well.
Get a smartphone please, that thing is ancient haha. Take a look at the OnePlus 3T, which is probably the best one you can get for the money.
(Thursday 01st June 2017, 04:46 PM)filthyjap Wrote: Get a smartphone please, that thing is ancient haha. Take a look at the OnePlus 3T, which is probably the best one you can get for the money.

Keep in mind that not everyone is into the smartphone craze as the next person.

Personally, I only upgrade my phone for two reasons. First, when the smartphone itself starts to experience hardware malfunctioning. Second, when the phone's operating system can new longer be upgraded. For example, the iPhone 4S was released in October of 2011, I bought mine in 2012 and kept it for about 2 years until it started showing serious signs of malfunction errors. Also, after iOS 8 (2014) was released, Apple Inc. claimed that they would no longer support iPhone 4S' in future operating system upgrades. Between reading that article and my phone shows signs of slowing down, I began planning my next upgrade.

I'm very methodical about the smartphones I buy. I don't just go for the next prettiest thing I see. At the same time, I'm not one to buy the newest phone on the market (with the newest phone price tag). Like I've said in previous threads, I generally stay a generation or two behind. Two days after iOS 8 was released, the iPhone 6 was unveiled on September 17th, 2014. Immediately after this, prices for the iPhone 5 and 5S dropped. Because it was time for an upgrade anyway, I immediately took advantage of this to purchase an iPhone 5.

This method works for me without being too caught up in smartphones, but at the same time keeping up with the latest devices and it's predecessors.
I do. I guess I'm just like everyone else. Though not as frequent, I upgrade my smartphone once in a while. Though I've never upgraded just because there is a better version or a newer model available, but when my phone is all used up, I would buy something much better, I would upgrade my phone. Sometimes I buy one with a better hardware, as in Speaker, Camera, etc. but most of the times I prefer better softwares, as in RAM, OS, and all of that goodies. I also won't upgrade when I haven't used my smartphone for at least a year. But I really don't know and can't imagine not upgrading and using the same thing for more than 5 years.  Tongue
I don't upgrade even when everyone else upgraded theirs. I have been using my basic phone for quite a long time, and I was happy with it too. I didn't think of getting a smart phone, even though my friends asked me to do so. The phone worked well for me, making & receiving calls, texting. That's good enough.

I started to think about getting a smart phone, when my basic phone was not functioning well, and my digital camera was spoiled. I still bought a basic phone, instead of smart phone, but the basic phone couldn't allow me to take more pictures with moderate quality of pictures. I am not professional photographer, but I'd like to take pictures of my kids. So, I decided to get a smart phone, where I can just take pictures of my kids easily when I am carrying a phone with me around. I don't go online with my phone when I go out with my kids, but sometimes when I am waiting for them, I might use it to go online. I guess many people would like the smart phone to go online easily, especially when they go out.

I am just thinking, since you have your good quality camera to take pictures, you can always online freely while you are at home, your basic phone can serve what you need. Smile
(Sunday 04th June 2017, 06:25 AM)JonathanS Wrote:
(Thursday 01st June 2017, 04:46 PM)filthyjap Wrote: Get a smartphone please, that thing is ancient haha. Take a look at the OnePlus 3T, which is probably the best one you can get for the money.

Keep in mind that not everyone is into the smartphone craze as the next person.

Personally, I only upgrade my phone for two reasons. First, when the smartphone itself starts to experience hardware malfunctioning. Second, when the phone's operating system can new longer be upgraded. For example, the iPhone 4S was released in October of 2011, I bought mine in 2012 and kept it for about 2 years until it started showing serious signs of malfunction errors. Also, after iOS 8 (2014) was released, Apple Inc. claimed that they would no longer support iPhone 4S' in future operating system upgrades. Between reading that article and my phone shows signs of slowing down, I began planning my next upgrade.

I'm very methodical about the smartphones I buy. I don't just go for the next prettiest thing I see. At the same time, I'm not one to buy the newest phone on the market (with the newest phone price tag). Like I've said in previous threads, I generally stay a generation or two behind. Two days after iOS 8 was released, the iPhone 6 was unveiled on September 17th, 2014. Immediately after this, prices for the iPhone 5 and 5S dropped. Because it was time for an upgrade anyway, I immediately took advantage of this to purchase an iPhone 5.

This method works for me without being too caught up in smartphones, but at the same time keeping up with the latest devices and it's predecessors.
You seem to have good and practical rasons to upgrade and not just to compete with the Joneses as they.  It all depends on one's individual needs and one must go by that parameter.  My needs are only sms and voice. I do not need to click pictures as I have a great camera.